Visit

Topographic survey of the river of Labouiche

To start the tour, click on a point.

Topographic survey of the river of Labouiche Natural entry Natural entry Natural entry Natural entry Natural entry Natural entry Natural entry Natural entry Natural entry Natural entry

1 - Natural entry

Point 1

The Fajal, little brook, rushes underground in a place called « Ayguo Perdent », « lost water ». This is where the explorations of the Underground River conducted by Dr Dunac began in 1908. It is now one of the access of the touristic tour.

  • The Fajal, little brook, rushes underground in a place called « Ayguo Perdent », « lost water ». This is where the explorations of the Underground River conducted by Dr Dunac began in 1908. It is now one of the access of the touristic tour.

  • During the third expedition of 1908, Dr Dunac and his two sons reached this room but ad to stop because of a wetting vault or siphon, finally crossed the following year. Nowadays, this gallery allows to by-pass little natural ponds, called gours, and also the second dam of the tour. We can observe many concretions, including elegant columns, as well as dizzy vaults.

  • Explored by Dr Cremadells in 1909, assisted by EA Martel, the precursor of caving in France, this part is so named because it is situated between two dams. Quite short, it reveals a sudden change of landscape : on one side rather narrow galleries, little concretions and strewed with erosion blades and on the other side, wide galleries with high ceilings, where concretions almost entirely cover some places.

  • Endpoint of the 1909 explorations. So named because it is the smallest of the three dams of the River. Depending on the direction of the visit, it is the first or second boat change. Furthermore the concretions, visitors can enjoy beautiful gours, a kind of natural pond formed by calcite deposited across the river.

  • Upper landing stage of the dam. From this point, visitors reach the upper part of the tour, particularly well decorated by concretions and convenient to imagination and dream. It is also one of the deepest place of the river

  • In 1935, Jacques Raynald, young 17 years old caver, discovered this room after a dangerous climbing. It is undoubtedly the richest room of the tour, where the visitor can embrace in a glance many concretions : fragile straw stalactites, thick columns, elegant draperies or curtains, shallow gours and of course stalactites and stalagmites. In this place, the guide will present you the genesis of that particular phenomenom, characteristic of the underworld. In 1935, Jacques Raynald young caver 17, discovered this room after a dangerous escalation. It is undoubtedly the richest room of the visit, one where the visitor can embrace in a glance many formations fragile fistulas with thick columns, elegant draperies gours shallow, not to mention course stalactites and stalagmites. In this room, the visitor is present the genesis of this phenomenon characteristic of the underground environment to better understand understanding.

  • Situtated at the entrance of a sinuous gallery called « the Meander », this concretion is emblematic of the cave. It perfectly shows the particularity of the concretions making : stalactites keep on growning down and finally join the casts formed on the ground, giving a set both powerful and delicate. It was nicknamed « Angkor Temple » as its shape is reminiscent of the famous Khmer Temple.

  • In this gallery, the visitor will see some of the most important forms of the visit : the font, the Little Buddha, the Shark tooth, beautiful stalactite with sharp shapes. Nearby, one can observe another stalactite, long and massive, that almost blocks the way. Beware heads ! Near the font, changing boat was necessary to continue the tour, until the wetting vault responsible for this situation was enlarged in 1955.

  • So named because till the 80s, a professional photographer used to take pictures of the people visiting the cave from this little promontory. At this point many formations are represented, including a superb thin column. Visitor's eye will be catched by an amazing calcite disk, perfectly formed and finished in « comet tail » by stalactites. This is a particularly interesting and quite rare concretion in Labouiche.

  • After crossing the longest straight line of the tour, the visitor can admire the waterfall, highlight of the visit. In 1935, having left his fellows for scouting, Paul Salette, an important man in the history of Labouiche, reached this beautiful waterfall, flowing into a 3 meters deep pool. He pushed his explorations furthermore but had to stop after a while because of a wetting vault. On appearance quiet, this waterfall is impetuous as it speed may vary from a hundred liters/second to about 1500 liters/second !